Thursday, September 3, 2009

Summer's over :(

As most of you know Sam has had a pretty good summer for someone suffering from late stage cancer. Someone with seven organs removed, five replaced/transplanted. Someone who in the spring of ‘08 was told there is nothing else we can do. Someone who was pretty much bed ridden from the summer of ‘08 ‘till this summer of ‘09. Well once Sam recovered from all the Chemo and transplant surgeries she felt a lot better. Most of the summer she was up and about, hanging out with her friends and family. She was going to movies, restaurants, bars, and was even planning a sky diving trip. Unfortunately the recurring cancer growths have started taking their toll again and has slowed Sam down to where she can rarely get out of bed anymore. She is battling fatigue, shortness of breath and constant pain & nausea. Her body seems to need 16 hours of sleep a day but she has trouble sleeping. Because of the constant nausea she rarely eats. Her port has been re-accessed and she is receiving daily fluids and IV medications. Her hospice Doctors and nurses keep having to increase her pain meds which get her feeling better for a few days before they need to make increases again. On good days we get her out a bed for a few hours in the evening to watch a movie, otherwise she spends most of her time watching DVD’s from bed. This week it has been seasons 1, 2, 3 & 4 of the show “House.” Sam can’t seem to get enough medical jargon. She also has gotten pretty good at guessing the next test or procedure House’s diagnostic team will try. Sam could probably pass some type of medical licensing exam herself right now, she seems to know all the procedures.

Besides from the headaches, mentally Sam continues to amaze us all the time. She is happy and a joy to be around. She is still looking out for everyone while trying to solve everyone’s problems. She hasn’t changed a bit.

As for those among you who have been asking what’s going on with my work... I recently had the fourth surgery on my ankle, which I had broken a few years back. My ankle has limited mobility and it is affecting my job performance. When someone needs help, they need and expect someone who can respond quickly and properly. My ankle is now very arthritic and stiffens up on me a lot to where it takes time to loosen up before I can move freely... to a point. So I have been off work on injury leave while meeting with management and doctors discussing my retirement options. On the plus side, I’m able to spend a lot of time with Sam and the family right now.

Thanks for all the continued support and well wishes,

Lots of Love,

Chris

16 comments:

Maryjonono said...

Cancer sucks! But the love that you share and the time you spend together is a wonderful gift. We're praying for comfort and peace for all of you, cherish the moments of clarity and the smiles.
Sending you caring thoughts,
The Novak Family

Syndy said...

We miss you here at the PD and send our love and support as always.
I do thank you for continually taking the time to share with all of us - keeping us connected, informed and most importantly reminding us of just what a gift we are given each and every day.

...in my thoughts and prayers
Syndy Nugent

Unknown said...

Thanks Chris for Sammy's update. Our love and prayers are with you. Your family is full of love, and you give the rest of us a wonderful lesson. Many hugs and prayers for you all.

Mary and John

Anonymous said...

Sammy,

I have had your blog on my desktop since the beginning. My name is Lori and I am a childhood friend of your dad and his family. Your journey through this has been a life changing experience for me. You are my hero and have touched my life in a way that I will never forget. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Aunt Amy said...

Thanks for the update. We think of you daily.

We send our love and kisses from Ohio.

Michael and Amy

Squinting2C said...

Is Bella hanging with Sammy?

AZLASS said...

It was great seeing your whole family at the reunion. It is obvious that you all posess the great Italian spirit or joie de vivre as they say in France, Sami is very brave and I know she is surrounded with a great deal of love and support. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Love, Nancy from Az.

Stefanie N. said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family. I have never even met Sam, but she has really made me giggle in her entries. What a beautiful soul...an angel here on Earth to allow us to grow more fully as humans in our experience. She is amazing!

much love,

stefanie nelson...the yoga teacher

Walstrom Family said...

Chris, thanks for updating us...we may not see much of you these days but we always are thinking and praying for all of you. Send Sam our love and the rest of the family too!

Kathy and John Walstrom

Walstrom Family said...

Chris, thanks for updating us...we may not see much of you these days but we always are thinking and praying for all of you. Send Sam our love and the rest of the family too!

Kathy and John Walstrom

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Dolly,

I have been thinking about you two a lot lately, trying to figure out a way to get reconnected. A search on the web led me to this blog. I'm out of breathe with sadness to learn of Sammy's situation and the difficulties your family has been through. Pat & I just celebrated our 29th anniversary yesterday....hard to believe it's been that long. Seems like you guys have a full bucket, but please know that when the time is right, we would love to get reconnected with you. Of course your current priority is probably caring for Sammy as it should be. Good luck with your surgery Chris (it sucks getting older)...My big 50 is this week.
Please know that we will now include your family in our daily prayers, and we hope that you find the strength and faith through this difficult journey...
We miss you and love you,
Jan & Pat Lynch
519 W. Douglas Avenue
Gilbert, Arizona 85233
Phone 480-813-9686
e-mail: janlynch@cox.net
XOXOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I just want to echo all the beautiful comments I have read. Indeed, it makes us all realize (hopefully) how precious is our time together on earth. I will sometime see my son and husband again and then we can laugh, hug and love again. So, DO LAUGH, HUG AND LOVE right now.....as should we all. God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam! You don't know me but I have been reading your blog for about a year now. Our generation-so good at internet stalking :). I first heard about your battle when a friend hosted a fund raiser down here at U of I. I have never left a comment before, but I think now might be a good time. I just wanted to tell you that you have truly changed my life. Your positive attitude in even the toughest time has been a huge inspiration-keep it up. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Love Always

Anonymous said...

Hi Sammy- My daughter (13 years old) and I have been following you since blog #1 and talk about you like you're right here with us. When we read you were going to be at the Bandit's game a few weeks ago, we went there so maybe we could say hi to you and let you know how much you were in our prayers. When we finally saw you in person my daughter said, "she's so beautiful-she looks like she should be a vampire". Since you're a Twilight fan, you'll know that she meant that as SUCH a compliment. We were literally 4 people down from you on the bench and we were so touched and humbled by the aura of love surrounding you that we chickened out and didn't want to intrude on your evening. It meant the world to us just to be a part of that evening with you-- even from afar. You and your family are ALWAYS in our prayers.-- Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Sammy,
You don't know me, but like the person a post or two above me, I heard about your battle with cancer during a fundraiser at U of I. I read through your blog, and continue to check it every day for updates. You have truly changed my life, and it amazes me how many people you have touched and how strong you continue to be. Keep on fighting- everyone is pulling for you! You're in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Jean Power said...

I feel as if I know you, I hear about you all the time at work as you see my boss is Rick Jaegers. He thinks you are great and unbelievable wonderful. Knowing you through him has placed a very nice memory of you in my mind forever. You will be in my prayers. I have to ask you, does he always play practical jokes?